Our Statewide LGBTQ Coordinating Council Advisory Council (Council) is a permanent advisory council located within the Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault (UCASA). It was established by a vote of the Board of Directors in 2017 to ensure that LGBTQ survivors and victims of sexual violence are represented in victim services organizations, institutions, and partnerships that serve sexual violence survivors statewide. This includes but is not limited to:
- Ensuring adequate representation of LGBTQ survivors in all Sexual Assault Response Teams (SARTs) statewide.
- Ensuring that LGBTQ-affirming training is provided statewide to sexual violence programs, law enforcement, and any other institution that interacts with sexual violence survivors.
- Ensuring that print, online, and others forms of information are available online to improve services for LGBTQ survivors of sexual violence.
- Producing LGBTQ-affirming materials for distribution statewide with a focus on rural, underserved, and culturally-specific programs and communities.
- Assist organizations serving LGBTQ survivors to understand the unique cultural, historical, and institutional barriers faced by LGBTQ survivors in accessing services.
- As the Council expands we expect that members of the Council and the community will identify additional goals and objectives that cannot currently be anticipated by our organization.
The Council addresses many important issues of interest to LGBTQ people and our allies. The Council utilizes the existing infrastructure of UCASA to define issues of concern to the LGBTQ community and find innovative ways of utilizing UCASA’s resources to help address these issues. Council members meet monthly and provide quarterly status updates to the Board of Directors.
We recognize that sexual orientation and gender identity are integral aspects of our lives and communities. The Council works to ensure that our policies, communications, and actions reflect this fact. We further recognize that the LGBTQ is not a monolithic, homogenous community and that our work must reflect the incredible vibrancy, uniqueness, and strength of the LGBTQ community.
Members are encouraged to act as a conduit for the broader LGBTQ community and to help ensure that UCASA is meeting the needs of all of our LGBTQ constituents. Throughout their time on the Council, members may serve on subcommittees and are encouraged the embrace their role representing the organization. The Council reports to the Board of Directors and will regular progress reports as well as give recommendations for improvements to UCASA’s programming and goals.
To learn more about the Council please contact us by phone at 801-746-0404 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To sign up for a council position, please complete the application located at this link.